I have looked at hundreds of photos, and I've watched coverage on the news every day since. Even still, these photos are the most awe-inspiring that I have seen. How turning wins can do so much damage. Winds of over 200 mph. It still stops me in my tracks to look into the faces of the students who have lost their homes.
Aerial Photos
To update the volunteer status:
I signed up on Monday with the Dunkerton City Hall. They didn't call me. Most of the efforts there are covered by family and friends. Parkersburg residents have until Saturday to find anything salvageable among the wreckage. After that, they will be able to use more volunteers. I just heard on TV that if you show up and register at the Methodist Church they will tell you where to go. I'm hoping to go tomorrow or Saturday. Monday and Tuesday at school will be community service days. We are taking the students out to pick up debris in the fields. Due to the danger involved with picking up debris, they made free tetanus shots available to any families or staff. I can't even tell you when my last one was, so I signed up. Bring on the rusty nails, I am protected!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
There's a large tan area in the middle of the town that is completely flattened, hardly any debris in it. Do you know what that was?
Those are some pretty intense photos. This is big news.
Holli - I'm not sure. I used to drive through Parkersburg on my way to UNI, but since I moved off campus I haven't been back much. I don't remember what was there. If I do find out I will let you know. East of there is the large bank, West was the gas station and pizza ranch. I tried to google map it and the only thing I discovered was a maintenance/repair shop.
When there was the big flood in South Dakota those years ago, I was supposed to help out with the flood effort but I tore a huge chunk out of my finger, goofing around with my brother, and I hadn't had a tetanus shot, so I couldn't help. And that's the story of how I was almost a volunteer.
Post a Comment