Monday, January 14, 2008

B.Y.O.B.


It's not easy being green...

I have wanted to blog about this for a long time, but I would have been a hypocrite. Ever since I returned from Australia I have thought that the U.S. should be using reusable shopping bags too. It's disgusting how many times I've gone to Target and come home with more bags than necessary. I once brought home three bags, two mostly full and one that had a box of toothpaste in it. Grr! I have hated myself for not doing the right thing. Still, there is a part of me that is uncomfortable as the tree-hugging bag lady. Target is now selling reusable bags like the ones that are available in EVERY grocery store in Australia. I have also found through a little research that the same Target bags were available in California last June. There are a few grocery stores in Des Moines that sell this style as well, minus the bull's eye motif. I hope the trend catches on! Keep your eyes peeled for more stores to stock the bags. You can buy really nice ones for $5-?, but I prefer the ones that cost $.99 or at most $1.50! I bought one a week ago and have used it twice since. They hold a lot more than a traditional grocery bag too! If you feel inspired, you are not alone. I'll be using mine as much as possible. The hardest part is remembering to take it with you. Now that I've blogged about it I will feel a strong sense of guilt if I don't take my own advice. I have no intentions of pressuring any of this blog's faithful readers. Just think though... With our powers combined we could keep thousands of plastic bags out of landfills. Captain Planet would be so proud!

Captain Planet, he's our hero.
Gonna take pollution down to zero.

The power is yours!

[Nice mullet, huh?]

(After posting this, I found an amazing link.) Click Here

4 comments:

Holli said...

Tree-hugger!!!

Bryan said...

I'm all for the reusable bag. I think we've talked about this before. It's good that you have actually taken the steps to find one. Unfortunately, all the ones I see are really................ not masculine looking at all. I'll keep looking.

m!les said...

I have a bag that would be perfect for this kind of stuff. It even has William Shakespeare on it. I wonder if I could just bring it to Wal-Mart and use it that way?

Bryan said...

I thought we might get a post today...cause you had kinda a day off.