Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Detention!


My last few weeks of teaching have been miserable. There's not much there to sugar coat the rest. A few good moments, but still... overall, not a pleasant experience. I've shed a lot of tears... and I haven't cried much since I was in junior high myself. Why would I waste my time and talents to be so completely disrespected? Today I went in to talk to the principal about the behavior of the junior high students. We came up with a more strict plan for punishment. There is one overall warning, and then any screwing around or disrespect and it is a 30 min. detention served after school that day or the next. The second time is an hour and the third will bring on 3 hours of Saturday school. So 2nd block I firmly explained the new rules. By the end of the period, three people have 30 minutes and four have an entire hour. This means I get to stay an extra 45 minutes longer than required in order to baby-sit. I would say that I had somewhat of a backbone before. I'm not a complete push-over, but I have been walked on. Now, I'm working on follow-through. One of the students waited about 30 seconds after I finished saying that there was to be no talking to say, "Ms. Zwiefel, you're a good teacher." I responded with, "30 minute detention." I've also made two fifth graders cry.

I AM a MEAN Teacher!
By: Laura M Staunton/ New Jersey
Barb Erickson/ Michigan

A MEAN teacher insists that each student do the best s/he is capable of doing.

A MEAN teacher insists that students hand in their assignments on time and takes off points for late assignments.

A MEAN teacher does not accept incomplete assignments.

A MEAN teacher requires each student to think carefully and to make her/his own decisions.

A MEAN teacher holds each student responsible for her/his own behavior.

A MEAN teacher makes students keep the classroom, themselves, and their belongings neat and clean.

A MEAN teacher does not allow free time in class until all class-work is done.

A MEAN teacher gives homework regularly, sometimes even on weekends.

A MEAN teacher calls on students who don't raise their hands to answer questions.

A MEAN teacher requires all students to treat each other with respect.

A MEAN teacher makes life miserable for students by insisting that they always tell the truth.

A MEAN teacher produces students who are respectful, responsible, and successful.

THE WORLD NEEDS MORE MEAN* TEACHERS!

*(MEAN = Making Excellence A Necessity)

5 comments:

Holli said...

Please don't punish me, but you ARE a good teacher! A bad teacher would have let that student who complimented you (sucked up?) to be off the hook. Unfair, right? Not you. Keep it up. :) But it sucks that you have to stay longer because they stay longer.

Debra said...

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!! I LOVE this post! And the whole "You're a good teacher" right after you just said be quiet... been there, done that... but I thought only 5 year olds tried to pull that trick. Junior high, 5 year old- same thing I guess...

I also LOVE the Mean Teacher poem. I will be saving a copy of that. :)

she-shew said...

So...if they get detention, you're the one who has to monitor that detention?? Who is this supposed to be punishing again??? :)

Keep being "mean"! Even when it makes you cry. You are loved Miss Zwiefel!

m!les said...

Bring a hand gun. Just set it on the desk.

Problem solved until you have to use it.

Bryan said...

Only detention I ever had was in music class. Things would have been easier if the teacher had a gun.