Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm an Aunt!

Today is a very special day. My little sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy! I forgot to bring my camera cord to Des Moines, so I'll have to wait until Sunday to put up a picture.

This week has been full of highs and lows, busy times and slow. A week ago was the first day that I did not go to school at all. I enjoyed several days of cleaning my apartment and working on projects. I feel very overwhelmed by all the natural disasters that have hit my area lately. I am so blessed to not be directly affected, but it is so close to home! I have found a lot of comfort in my new church. I've only been going there for about a month. God definitely knew what I was going to need at this point of my life!

The baby's due date was Saturday, June 7. When he still hadn't arrived by Monday, I decided to go to Ankeny and keep Nicole company. She had been watching a lot of movies since Friday afternoon, so I thought she might like some company while Nate was at work.

I spent time with her Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, and I spent the night on Wednesday. I stayed for quite awhile on Thursday too. We went out to eat, walked around stores, grilled, walked some more, ate ice cream, and watched movies. Lots of waiting, lots of eating. :)

This morning they went to the hospital around 5:30. While I waited for my family to get here and for Nicole to get a hospital room, I went to Panera. I planned to blog while I was there, but I couldn't get the internet to work. I sat out in the sun and read for about an hour. Glorious!

We stopped in to see Nicole a few times throughout the day. It started to get exciting around late afternoon. My parents were in the waiting room down the hall, while the three soon-to-be aunties were outside in the courtyard.

Then Nate called my phone and said that he was born. I could hear him crying over the phone. We were able to see and hold him while he was still less than an hour old. His name is still not official, though they are leaning towards one in particular.

His stats: Born at 4:51 p.m. on Friday, the 13th of June. (Yeah, that'll be one to impress his buds with some day!) He weighed 6 lbs. 15 oz. He looked to be about normal length, but I couldn't remember any more numbers.

I'm most impressed with how she handled the delivery. She was so blessed to have a speedy delivery. Nate did a good job too. She seemed very energetic afterwards, though I'm sure both mom and baby will sleep well tonight!

5 comments:

Debra said...

I love this post! Thanks for the update. :)

Holli said...

Oh, I'm so excited! Tell her we're happy for them! And 6 lbs, he sure wasn't heavy even being a week late - she was blessed!!

Debra said...

Does TBA have a real name yet? :)

m!les said...

Congrats to your sister! Babies are awesome. When you get back with your camera, you should take lots of photos to share! :)

Deb said...

Yay!! I'm so happy for you and your sister and whole family! Congratulations!