Tuesday, January 27, 2009

There Will Be Rest

My audition at Mankato (!!!!!) will be February 17. I have an interview at 2:00 and will conduct the Concert Choir from 3:05 to 3:15. This is the piece I will be studying diligently until then to make sure I am ready. If you don't LOVE it like I do, then maybe it's okay that you and I are on different career paths. :) I think it's AMAZING! I had my choice of three songs. I went with this one because I can find heaps of recordings to practice with and already have a lot of the chords in my ear. I've heard it performed live several times by some pretty amazing choirs at regional and national conventions.

Side note, I spent my day listening to seventh graders sing "Hot N Cold," "All-American Girl," and the Friends theme song as they prepare for their talent show auditions. I can't wait to go to grad school!!!!

The poetry in this piece is pretty amazing.

There will be rest, and sure stars shining
Over the roof-tops crowned with snow,
A reign of rest, serene forgetting,
The music of stillness holy and low.

I will make this world of my devising,
Out of a dream in my lonely mind,
I shall find the crystal of peace, --above me
Stars I shall find.
---Sara Teasdale (1884-1933)

4 comments:

Holli said...

Good luck, friend!

Bryan said...

I like Hot n' Cold...

Anonymous said...

Oooh Jacks! They've got no idea what they've got comin' on interview day!

Miles Rausch said...

At first I thought the name of the piece was "There Will Be Rests", which made me think it was a choral parody of music from "There Will Be Blood".

What you posted was good, too.