Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Power of Suggestion




7:45 - I wake up hearing my dad use some rather colorful language about human intelligence.

7:46 - My mom calmly explains to him how to unstick my sister's tongue from a metal pole.

7:48 - I jump out of my bed before my originally scheduled time. There's no way I'm going to miss this.

7:49 - I help my dad fill a pitcher with warm water.

7:50 - I look out the window to find that the bus is waiting at the end of the lane. Everyone loves a show.

7:55 - The bus drives away as my dad and sister walk up the lane.

I learn as the morning progresses that before my sisters had left the house to wait for the bus, my dad told Mallory not to lick any cold poles or touch anything with wet skin. "It's freezing out there, you'll stick right to it."

My sister, in her eight years of wisdom has not yet tried this for herself. She therefore made the choice to stick her tongue to a sign pole. There was no triple-dog dare involved (unless there's something Alissa isn't telling us).

The poor thing must have been scared out of her mind. There was crying and blood. This is usually not a good start to a day of school.

My mom decides that we should send a note to the teacher, though I'm sure the teacher knew within 2 minutes of the bus arriving at school. Mom asks Mallory, "What do you think the note should say?" Mallory replies, "Don't put up any more poles!" Yes, that is the problem. Too many poles.

My sister gets up from the kitchen table and walks out to the porch to reapply her winter layers. My dad and I can't help but notice that her tongue is still sticking out of her mouth. We discreetly laugh really hard. You see, Mallory loves being the center of attention. I'm glad I don't have to witness how she acts at school today. I'm sure she'll play this up.

The moral behind the story is that you should never tell someone about licking metal poles in the winter, because they will have to prove that you are right. My sister Nicole has done this before as well. I told her it would stick, and she had to prove me right.

In light of the season and today's excitement you can bet there will be a showing of the classic movie "A Christmas Story" at the Zwiefel house!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Mallory's right, there are too many poles! haha. I love that she said that.

m!les said...

Never tell your sister to not eat yellow snow.

Holli said...

I wish people would prove ME right more often.

Heather said...

I love the Zwiefel house!!

Debra said...

Hopefully Mallory's not wishing for a Red Rider bb gun for Christmas!
"You'll shoot your eye out!"