Thursday, January 3, 2008

Grassroots Politics


I forgot to mention that my favorite part of the rally yesterday was as Obama left the stage singing along to "Signed, sealed, delivered. I'm yours."

My caucus location was a a small middle school that goes by the name of Bunger. The parking was insane! There were so many people there. I'm not really sure how many precincts caucused in this building, but there were at least three. Mine went by the name of Poyner 2 and had 107 people turn up to vote. My parents met in a neighbor's house with a turnout of 30-some people.

My precinct had seven delegates. Three went to Edwards, two to Hillary, and two to Obama. One of the Obama supporters had two parents in the Biden camp. They tried to drag her to their side to make Biden viable. One rather enthusiastic supporter joked that she'd run them over in with her walker! It didn't work though, they still needed one more. So we ended up with the family of three, and the rest of the former-Bidens went Edwards. Speaking of walkers... it seemed to me as though a lot of the Hillary support was from women over 50.

Apparently there were some rather unhappy Hillary supporters in the room next door, because the non-Clinton dems realigned themselves so that she only got one delegate and not two. :) Oh the treachery!

I was there until 8:30. As soon as I got in my car they were calling it a win for Obama with 70% of the precincts reporting.

I called my parents on my way out of the school. I was interested to know how things went in Fenton. Mallory answered the phone, and when I asked where Mom and Dad were she said, "They're at a funeral." Hmm... not exactly.

I am an alternate Obama delegate for the county convention. I'm still figuring out what exactly that means, but it is a chance to get involved in politics. We'll see if I get a phone call about that or not. When I talked to my mom she told me that my Dad was chosen as the delegate for Obama from Fenton. She wants to go too, so she signed up as a volunteer. My parents haven't been this involved in politics for... well, ever?

I hope this made some sort of sense. I typed bits of it as soon as I got home. I usually proofread my posts, but I'm too tired. Democracy is hard work!

P.S. This blog will now return to it's regularly scheduled programming.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Funeral...classic...

Bryan said...

Ironically...that's the same song he used in Des Moines. Wonder if that was planned?

Holli said...

I'm trying to figure out why she said funeral. Is it because they said they were going to the caucus and she thought coffin and then thought funeral?

she-shew said...

I'm glad you are proud to be an american and took part in this great democracy...unlike some people...whose name I won't mention...but rhymes with Rebra.